It’s that time of year again with darker days, colder weather and the tendency to catch colds, flus, and respiratory infections seems to be heightened for all of us. While viruses and other germs that cause these illnesses can be more prevalent during this season, there are many ways that we can prevent and/or shorten the duration of seasonal illnesses. And while germs may be present in our outer environment, our internal immune system is constantly monitoring and adapting to fight off various types of microbes, especially those that can cause seasonal illnesses.
In Traditional Chinese Medicine, an ancient and also modern system of using herbs and natural treatments to maintain and enhance overall health, they discuss the importance of keeping our Wei Qi (prounounced “way chee”) or defensive energies strong, which translates also as a strong immune system. This can be done and enhanced with certain healthy foods and Immune Tonics; specific nutrient and herbal formulas designed to strengthen our immune function for general health and to prevent colds & seasonal respiratory illnesses. I have used these tonic formulas on a personal and professional basis for many years with good success.
Tonics are a class of foods, nutrients, and herbs that are used as prevention and therapeutically to tonify or strengthen a particular body system or function. In natural medicine and traditional, time tested healing systems from cultures like China, India, Russia, and Europe, there is a core body of knowledge that teaches that certain foods, and herbs can strengthen various systems and functions of our body. Using these foods and herbsl allows us to maintain health and ideally fight off various illnesses. Common examples might be: many fruits, vegetables,mushrooms, garlic, Omega 3’s, Vitamins A, C & D, zinc, selenium, and of course, high quality chicken soup!
High quality ImmuneTonics from individual or herbal formula extracts represent a large part of traditional & natural healing systems and have been researched in modern times, showing them to be safe and effective. Herbal Tonics are utilized by millions of people to prevent seasonal illnesses and are most popular currently in Japan, China, Korea, southeast Asian, Australia, and certain European cultures.
Some of my favorite immune tonic herbs and nutrients are: Astragalus, Echinacea,Elderberry, Olive Leaf, Eleuthero, Shizandra, Andrographis, Isatis, Arabinogalactin, Reishi, Shitake, Maitake mushrooms, and Beta Glucans, to name a few. These herbs can be taken alone or are often used in various combinations that can be even more effective.
We are highlighting a few of my favorite herbal and nutrient based Immune Tonic Formulas at the end of this article. It is important to use the highest quality herbs from reputable companies (who use all the proper sourcing and processing to extract the highest potency & quality) to allow for the full therapeutic effect. I personally research all of the products that we offer at Lotus Healing Arts and can safely say that all of our Herbal Tonics are of the highest quality and sources and often grown organically
The overall advantages of taking high quality nutrient and Immune Tonics:
- Help to support and stimulate our immune systems for general health and to prevent and/or shorten the duration of seasonal illnesses (colds, respiratory illnesses) NOTE: Please refer to past newsletters for more specific information on treating and preventing colds, seasonal and sinus-related illnesses.
- Can be helpful & supportive to improve overall health for people with specific health related conditions (Examples: autoimmune, digestive, respiratory, etc.)
- Generally considered to be safe in the short and long-term when used as directed. (NOTE: There are certain exceptions where certain herbs are not utilized in combination with certain prescription medications.)
- They are especially beneficial if a person is tired, stressed, or weakened from other health-related issues, and/or has been exposed to people who are sick.
Dr. Mark Ensweiler, a chiropractor, acupuncturist, and therapeutic bodyworker is also trained and certified in clinical nutrition, Chinese Herbal Medicine, and functional medicine. He has the knowledge and clinical experience with these herbal and nutrient formulas to use them with a high level of personal attention and effectiveness. If you have any questions regarding these topics, please feel free to contact our office via phone or e-mail.
At Lotus Healing Arts, our natural pharmacy carries a wide variety of the highest quality nutrient and herbal formulas (Chinese, Japanese, Western/European) and Immune Tonics at reasonable and currently discounted prices.
Listed below are some of our highlighted products for seasonal health and prevention:
- ImmuHerbs – A combination of high quality nutrients & herbal extracts to help strengthen overall immune function and prevent colds and viral illnesses. Dosage: 3-6 capsules/day. 120 caps.
- Astragalus Extract – High quality herbal extract to support and enhance overall immune function. 500 mg. , 120 tablets – Dosage: 2-4/day.
- Astra 8 – High quality Chinese and Western herbal extracts (8 total in formula) to support and enhance overall immune function . 90 tablets. – Dosage: 3-6/day.
- Astragalus Supreme – High quality (organically grown) herbal extracts to help tonify and support immune function) – 60 caps. Dosage: 2/day.
- Immune Health Basics – A high quality, specific nutritional yeast extract to strengthen immune function and prevent seasonal illnesses. 30 capsules. Dosage: 1/day.
- Super Echinacea – A high quality, organic herbal liquid extract to support overall immune function and to prevent and treat seasonal illnesses. 4oz.- 30-60 drops, 1-4X/day.